10 Tips for Safe Online Banking
Security is the most important thing when completing financial transactions online.
Following these simple tips will help you ensure your security:
1. Change your password regularly and use strong passwords with at least 8 characters, combining random letters and numbers.
2. Memorize your password and secret questions. Don't write them down and be sure not to share them with anyone. Ignore the "remember my password" option.
3. Don't use the same Password for Online Banking that you use for other online accounts.
4. PIN-lock your mobile phone and don't use unsecured WiFi.
5. Don't use public computers to do your banking, including those at libraries, internet cafes and schools.
6. Make sure you log out of Online Banking each time you finish, especially if you find it necessary to use public computers.
7. Keep your computer and access to it secure. Most people think their computers are secure, but they can actually be at risk. Be sure to keep antivirus software up-to-date and use a firewall.
8. Access Online Banking from the home page of our website or by typing the URL directly into the address bar. That way you know the site is legitimate. You may even want to bookmark the site for future visits.
9. Look for the secure padlock in the bottom right hand of your browser and https in the address line to make sure your information is encrypted. You can also double-click the secure padlock to verify the security certificate.
10. Check for anything unusual, unprofessional or out of place like a slightly altered domain name, imperfect logo, or urgent account verification request. Copycat websites deliberately use names, URLs and web pages that are very similar to legitimate financial institutions.
By following these guidelines for securing your computer and mobile phone, you've already made it harder for someone to steal your identity.